Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips

Saturday, 11 January 2014

Fire engulf property in Kinamba

By Ephantus Kiptanui 

Traders in Kinamba shopping centre woke up to a rude shock on January 9, 2013, after fire burnt down their business premises and houses around Kinamba bus stage.
Residents tried to stop the fire by carrying water in buckets and tins but they were overwhelmed as the fire spread to the nearby shops. The wooden wall made it difficult for them to extinguish the fire.
“It is suspected that the fire was caused by a torch or a phone which exploded as it was left charging overnight,” said Allan, the shop owner.
During the rescue operation some of those present took advantage of the situation and started looting the shops.
 “Police took a very long time to arrive at the scene. They could have prevented the looting if they had arrived promptly,” said Silvester Kimeli, who witnessed the incident.
Area residents are calling on the County Government to buy fire fighting equipments as well as a fire truck to prevent future occurrence.
“We plead with the County Government to invest in fire equipments. Kinamba does not have even one fire truck.” said Mama Faith, adding that the situation could have been salvaged if such equipment were available.
Post a Comment